A student at Broughton High School in Raleigh, Meyer has a style that has been influenced by the traditional ballads of Madison County and the round-peak music of Surry County. While she prefers playing fiddle, she also handles banjo, guitar, and autoharp with the talent of performers many times her age.
Free tickets for this concert are distributed while they last beginning at 2 p.m.
The English Garden Florist of Raleigh, a local flower shop in Raleigh, will provide flowers for the mothers who choose to spend some of Mothers Day sharing live music with us!
Presented with PineCone and support from MOHA/museum members. Join MOHA before or after the concert—for half-price museum membership! In addition, enter our raffle for a prize from the Museum Shop (winner will be drawn at next month’s concert and need not be present).
Want to learn more? Check out the resources below for more information!
- "Ballads." (2018) In Encyclopedia of Appalachia, Retrieved May 2, 2018, from Encyclopedia of Appalachia: http://www.encyclopediaofappalachia.com/entry.php?rec=31
- “Madison County’s bounty of old ballds.” (2016) in The Citizen Times, Retrieved May 2, 2018 from: https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/07/20/madison-countys-bounty-old-ballads/86919840/
- “Round Peak Banjos & more” (2018) Round Peak Banjos, Retrieved May 2, 2018 from: http://www.roundpeakbanjos.com/round-peak-music.html
- “The Appalachian Ballad Tradition” (2018) WBUR Boston & On Point, Retrieved May 2, 2018, from WBUR: http://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/01/16/the-appalachian-ballad-tradition
- “Traditional Music in Madison County, North Carolina” (2018) Madison County, NC Tourism Division, Retrieved May 2, 2018: https://www.visitmadisoncounty.com/
- Alden, Ray. "Music from the Round Peak." Old Time Music . 19 (1975/1976)
- Jones, LeRoi. The Blues People: Negro Music in White America. Harper Perennial, 1999.
- Mazor, Barry. Ralph Peer and the Making of Popular Roots Music. Chicago Review Press, 2016.
- Pecknold, Diane (Ed.). Hidden in the Mix: The African American Presence in Country Music. Duke University, 2013.
- Peterson, Richard A. Creating Country Music: Fabricating Authenticity. University of Chicago Press, 1999.