In this activity, students will explore how advertising affects public perceptions.
- copies of Advertising an Image worksheet (one copy per group)
- computer with Internet access
1. Read the articles in Session 2: Women at Home. Discuss the article “Changing Images: Three Devereux Sisters.”
2. Discuss the following vocabulary words: perception, self-esteem, stereotype, mass media, and ideology/ideals. Add other words you deem appropriate.
3. Divide the class into two or three groups. Assign each group one of the following sets of advertisements to view online (or print out each ad and distribute to the groups):
Some of Our Most Expensively Gowned Women Have B.O., 1937
I Learned from a Beauty Expert How to Hold My Husband, 1932
4. Distribute one copy of the Advertising an Image worksheet to each group. Have the students answer the questions on the worksheet.
5. Ask the groups to present their findings. Allow time for the groups to compare their advertisements after the presentations.