The museum offers free experiences for kids and families all summer long!
Skip the Screen!
July 1 through August 31
In-person program at your state history museums*
FREE. Learn more here!
Explore and connect with these family-friendly activities! Download a Time Travel Ticket from the museum’s website—or get one at a state history museum.
Visit one of the museums and complete its Time Travel challenge, get your Ticket stamped, and collect your reward!
Complete an activity at:
- one museum, and win a souvenir;
- two museums, and win a souvenir and a museum store discount* on one item;
- three or more museums, and win a souvenir and a museum store discount* on your total purchase!
* Mountain Gateway Museum, Old Fort; Museum of the Cape Fear, Fayetteville; NC Museum of History, Raleigh; Museum of the Albemarle, Elizabeth City; and the North Carolina Maritime Museums, Hatteras, Beaufort, and Southport.
Take-it, Make-it Kits!
Saturdays in July and August
1–3 p.m., while supplies last; one kit per family
Kits are designed for families with elementary-age children.
Celebrate summer with safe (and FREE) hands-on crafts! Visit the museum to pick up a craft bag with supplies and instructions and tour an exhibit with the included self-guided gallery hunt. Then, take the bag home to share the craft, extra activities, and North Carolina history tidbits with family and friends!
Take-it, Make-it Topics and gallery hunts
- July 24: Mini time capsule in History in Every Direction: Tar Heel Junior Historian Association Discovery Gallery.
- August 14: Bead basketball and cup in the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame.
- August 28: Paper canoe and glider in The Story of North Carolina.
Take a Look!
Weekdays and weekends, as available
10-2:30 p.m., when docents are on duty
In-person drop in opportunity
Learn how to start a fire without a match, make a silly face to match our face jug, or hear the origins of the nickname “tar heel.” Engage with museum docents, as available, to explore the galleries in a meaningful way.
Saturdays in the Garden
Saturday, July 17
Saturday, August 21
Register in advance
What’s growing in the garden? Enjoy a FREE informal tour of the museum’s History of the Harvest exhibit along Bicentennial Plaza. Tour group limited in size—pre-registration is required.
Summer Tar Heel Tales
Wednesdays in July and August
Ages 5 and up; parents are encouraged to participate with their children
Register in advance
Stories don’t go away during summer! Join us for a story and a bit of North Carolina history.
- July 14: T is for Tarheel. Register here!
- July 21: The Toy Farmer. Register here!
- July 28: Amazing Grace. Register here!
- August 4: Players in Pigtails. Register here!
- August 11: The Pottery Place. Register here!
- August 18: Wind Flyers. Register here!
- August 25: The Pig Who Went Home on Sunday: An Appalachian Folktale. Register here!